Industry 4.0 – a topic BIBA deals with for more than 20 years
For much more than 20 years, BIBA has been exploring what is understood today as “Industry 4.0” – the technological and organisational challenges, as well as the opportunities presented by the digitalisation of logistics and production processes and how human beings fit into these processes.
In addition, BIBA has initiated and led the collaborative research centre “Autonomous control of logistical processes” (CRC 637) by the German Research Foundation at the University of Bremen, developed control processes and cyber-physical systems, and incorporated the research results into a wide range of numerous applications in cooperation with partners from industry. BIBA has set a clear course in the development of “Industry 4.0” and is still helping to shape development.
BIBA Competences in Industry 4.0
- In the project BreLogIK - Logistics Transfer and Innovation Culture Bremen - impulses for more transfer and innovation in the regional logistics economy are set. Besides the BIBA, the research cluster LogDynamics, the Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics and the Bremerhaven University of Applied Sciences are involved in BreLogIK.
- BIBA is a scientific partner of Mittelstand 4.0-Kompetenzzentrum Bremen and offers small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) practical support and qualification in increasing their digitization skills. The free offer ranges from information events, demonstrations and innovation workshops to implementation projects in which practical solutions make digitization tangible.
- In 2016, BIBA established its “Factory of Expertise on Autonomous Control in Production und Logistics” as part of the Mittelstand 4.0-Kompetenzzentrum Bremen. This Factory of Expertise offers free services to small and medium sized enterprises (SME) coping with digital logistics and Industry 4.0. These free services include demonstration activities, training courses for employees as well as dialogue workshops.
- Industry 4.0 Test Environments for SME is a funding program of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research with the aim of testing and optimizing product ideas or prototypes as practically as possible as well as experimenting with new business ideas. The BIBA with its laboratories is registered as a Testbed for this program since 2016.
- The IoTFabLab at BIBA cooperates with various technology providers in the area of the Industrial Internet of Things since 2016. The laboratory provides all the resources necessary for work in industrial and research projects as well as in teaching: from RFID, sensors, and programmable logic controllers to single-board computers and wearable computing systems to a comprehensive IT infrastructure for the collection, processing and visualization of data.
- Since 2015, the Industry 4.0-Competence and Transfer Centre at BIBA, which was established within the framework of the collaborative research project „CyProS – Cyber Physical Production Systems“ presents the results of projects and activities in the context of Industry 4.0 and implements them together with partners from industry and logistics.
- Since 2005, the LogDynamicsLab – Application Centre for Technologies in Logistics of the Bremen Research Cluster for Dynamics in Logistics (LogDynamics) at the University of Bremen, which is hosted at BIBA, researches application of key information and communication technologies to optimise production and logistics processes and in this context implements prototypical or demonstration solutions.
- From 2004 to 2013, the Collaborative Research Centre 637 “Autonomous Cooperating Logistic Processes – A Paradigm Shift and its Limitations” developed basic concepts and methods for autonomous control within an increasingly digitalized logistical environment and tested their practical applicability in early transfer projects.
January - July 2021, Bremen
Dynamics in Logistics - 25 Jahre Logistikforschung in Bremen
May 5 - December 1, 2021, online